Thursday, March 14, 2013

A week of 3.11-3.15

+
I began to make tambour slat by making double bead with a scratch stock and rip-cutting off it by a hand saw.
Worked on making tambour door locking mechanism.
And made two side pieces by a round plane.
I will glue them up to a canvas, and trim off to finish shape after the spring break.



++
I stopped by the Korea Express USA Inc. warehouse in New Jersey where I had two machines delivered.
The jointer is an old Martin T54 which has a 20" wide and 8' long table.
The band saw is an old Crescent which has 36" wide wheels.
I have 3+ months to fill out my machine list.



+++
We, almost all of us, made a field trip to the Winterthur Museum(http://www.winterthur.org) in DE.
We went to a library, a conservation studio, a gallery, and heard a lecture by Brook.

It happened that the original tambour desk I am currently working on was displayed in a gallery of the museum.
With permission by Brook, I was able to step up a platform and took a closer look at the piece. That opportunity gave me better understanding of the original design and I decided to change some details of the project I am currently working on.

No comments: